Alyson Approved Tip: If you’re having guests over for the holidays, be sure to ask in advance about food allergies and intolerances. That way you can prepare and won’t be surprised at the dinner table.
Cooking for guests with food allergies and intolerances can be challenging, especially during the holiday season. Everyone wants to enjoy holiday favorites so try not to go out of your way to come up with new foods to prepare. Most recipes can be altered for your guest with a few simple swaps. These gluten-free bars replace regular white flour (which contains gluten) with oat flour. It takes on all the flavor of pumpkin pie but without hurting any of our guests.
Gluten-Free Pumpkin Pie Streusel Bars
Yield: 16 BARS
Prep time: 20 MINUTES
Cook time: 64 MINUTES
For the crust and topping:
• 1 1/4 cups certified gluten-free oat flour (learn how to make you own here)
• 2 cups certified gluten-free rolled oats
• 1 tablespoon cinnamon
• 1 cup brown sugar
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 3/4 cup canola oil
For the filling:
• 2 large eggs
• 1/3 cup granulated sugar
• 1/3 cup brown sugar
• 2 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- Preheat the oven to 350?F. Line an 8″ x 8″ pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Prepare the crust and topping. In a large mixing bowl, stir together the oat flour, oats, cinnamon, sugar and salt. Stir in the butter until well combined.
- Pat half of the mixture firmly onto the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes or until lightly golden brown. The crust will bubble a little during baking.
- Let the crust cool for 5-10 minutes while preparing the filling.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together all the filling ingredients. Pour evenly over the crust and bake for 12 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and add walnut-sized pieces of the remaining oat mixture over the filling. It will be a very thick layer and some of it will sink a little into the filling. Bake for another 30 minutes or until the filling is golden brown and firm and the middle is set.
- Let cool for 1 hour and serve with whipped cream or maple caramel sauce.
Cool completely before covering. Store at room temperature for up to 2 days or in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.